Become a Board Member
No successful member organization can exist without vision, leadership and purpose. Members of the NATP Board of Directors help set the standard for excellence and integrity in the tax industry. Our board members build relationships, identify challenges and develop solutions. Sure, it sounds like a tall order, but it doesn’t come without reward.
NATP Board of Directors Candidate Requirements
A board member serves a three year term which begins on Jan. 1, immediately following their election. Terms are limited to three (3) consecutive candidacies, or to nine (9) years within any fourteen year period.
Per NATP bylaws, the NATP Board of Directors shall meet no less than three times per year. Specific criteria, as approved by the Board at the December 2020 meeting, for being nominated for and serving on the board include :
- Individuals must be at least 25 years of age and work full-time or part-time in the tax preparation industry.
- Individuals must be a voting member in good standing and have been a member of NATP for a minimum of three (3) of the last five (5) years, one of which is the year preceding their nomination.
- Individuals must have completed at least 20 hours of education provided by NATP either at the national or state level per year for each of the past three (3) years.
- Individuals must have attended at least three (3) in-person, educational events provided by NATP national within the last two years; attendance at a live TaxCon virtual event within the last two years may be substituted for up to one in-person event.
- Members who are currently serving, or have served in the past two years, on the National Board of any other group or organization that deals directly or indirectly with the field of taxation or accounting and whose membership is composed primarily of tax professionals and may provide continuing education, are not eligible for nomination as a NATP Director.
Changes for 2022
The National Board of Directors has amended the requirements for board candidates in response to the cancellation of in-person NATP education events in 2020 and 2021. The above requirements include attendance at a minimum number of in-person events to qualify to be a candidate. As this was impossible for 2020 and 2021, the criteria for candidates submitting an application for 2022, for the 2023 Board of Directors, has been amended as follows:
- Individuals must have attended three (3) live, in-person or virtual (TaxCon, Virtual Tax Forum and Virtual Tax Season Update) educational events provided by NATP national within the last three years. At least one of the three being a live, in-person educational event. Excluded are webinars, half/full day online workshops and any on-demand offerings.
Candidate attributes should include:
- Possesses leadership capabilities and an energetic and engaging spirit for NATP initiatives
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively
- Demonstrate the ability to understand and maintain a national perspective on professional issues and NATP matters
- Exemplifies personal integrity, is personally and professionally credible, and reflects NATP’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct in their actions
- Has demonstrated positive attitude, performance and public encouragement for NATP initiatives
- Demonstrates the ability to differentiate between a strategic/oversight board versus a working board
The time commitment of a board member to the association can be significant. On the average, a board member may spend up to, if not more than, 300 hours per year on board duties and travel. These duties may include, but are not limited to, attending board meetings, chapter meetings and National Conference, along with serving on various committees. You are rewarded with the knowledge that NATP is a stronger organization because of your efforts and energies. Your commitment to NATP is essential as a member of the Board of Directors. It is the cumulative efforts of both past and present boards that have made NATP what it is today and what it will become tomorrow.
Please contact the NATP National office with questions and to take the next steps to become a member of the NATP Board at email@example.com.
View NATP Board FAQ