Sharing Economy Self-Study
More and more taxpayers are using one of the many online platforms available to rent spare bedrooms, provide car rides, or to connect and provide a number of other goods or services. They are involved in what is called the ‘sharing (or gig) economy.’ This course reviews the proper tax reporting of revenues earned and expenses incurred for taxpayers participating in sharing economy activities. We will also describe the different categories of sharing economy activities.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify if a sharing economy activity rises to the level of a trade or business
- Properly report income and expenses of sharing economy activities
- Determine if a taxpayer is eligible to claim the home office deduction
- Determine the proper treatment of vehicle expense
- Identify when a taxpayer needs to pay estimated tax payments and self-employment tax
- Identify the different categories of sharing economy activities
This course includes an e-book and exam questions to help you earn CPE. CPE is issued after the exam is successfully completed.