Introduction to Schedule D Self-Study
A business goes through many ups and downs throughout the course of its life, and it is important to be able to help your client navigate through what they will need to provide for you to do your job effectively. With this course, you’ll gain a basic knowledge and understanding of Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, and Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses, for individual taxpayers. The course covers issues such as determining the correct basis of an asset, the proper disposition of a capital asset and the tax treatment of capital gains and losses, including the net investment income tax and the §121 exclusion for gain on the sale of a principal residence.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify sales that are reported on Form 8949 and Schedule D.
- Calculate the adjusted basis of capital assets.
- Determine whether the holding period of an asset is short-term or long-term.
- Summarize the tax treatment of capital losses.
- Apply the appropriate tax rates to capital gains.
- Decide if the net investment income tax applies.
- Compute the §121 exclusion for the sale of a principal residence.
This course includes an e-book and exam questions to help you earn CPE. CPE is issued after the exam is successfully completed.