Annual Federal Tax Refresher Course Self-Study
Completion of the Annual Federal Tax Refresher course (AFTR) is a necessary step in obtaining an Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP) — Record of Completion. This AFTR course covers federal tax law topics in three domains: New Tax Law/Recent Updates; General Review; and Practices, Procedures, and Professional Responsibility. The AFSP is a voluntary program, but since 2015, preparers need a Record of Completion for returns to engage in limited practice. To engage in limited practice, an unenrolled preparer must agree to adhere to the practice requirements of Circular 230. This AFTR course provides the information you need to review to pass the examination and obtain your Record of Completion.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize new law provisions effective for the current tax year.
- Apply new law provisions and updated limitations as appropriate for the benefit of the taxpayer.
- Identify basic taxpayer information necessary to complete an average taxpayer’s Form 1040.
- Identify preparer responsibilities in dealings with the IRS.
- Identify preparer responsibilities in dealings with clients.
This course includes an e-book with interactive review questions and an interactive infographic. CPE is issued after the required 100 question, 3 hour exam is successfully completed.