Ethics and Circular 230
Note: This course is also included in The Essential 1040 .
Each year, taxpayer actions, or simply changes in the law, present tax return preparers with more and more ethical dilemmas. Circular 230, Regulations Governing Practice before the Internal Revenue Service, provides our profession with standards to prevent us from overstepping professional boundaries. This course summarizes Circular 230, identifies the current IRS return preparer initiatives in place to improve the accuracy and quality of tax returns and highlights the penalties preparers could face by not following Circular 230 or the regulations.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the current IRS hands-on initiatives to improve the accuracy and quality of filed tax returns.
- Identify the Circular 230 rules governing individuals eligible to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Identify the rules governing unenrolled tax preparers.
- Identify common penalties assessable against tax return preparers.
- Identify due diligence requirements for the earned income tax credit (EITC).
This course includes an e-book and exam questions to help you earn CPE. CPE is issued after the exam is successfully completed.