Ethics for Tax Preparers On-Demand Webinar
Each year, tax preparers are presented with a number of ethical dilemmas, whether it be due to taxpayer actions or changes in tax law. The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act (PATH) expanded due diligence requirements to cover more tax credits, including the Section 24 Child Tax Credit and the American Opportunity Tax Credit. This year, the requirements extend to claiming Head of Household filing status.
This webinar will review what you need to do to properly protect yourself, your practice and your clients, as well as what sorts of penalties the IRS imposes for ethical violations, by reviewing Circular 230 and the PATH Act.
Circular 230 sets standards to prevent us from overstepping professional boundaries, including how to run your office, make decisions, determine what questions to ask clients and decide what records to rely on. By the end of this course, you will be able to identify the current IRS return preparer initiatives, preparer penalties and ethical standards important to tax return preparers.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Summarize the key points of Circular 230, Regulations Governing Practice before the Internal Revenue Service.
- Summarize the key points of the PATH Act due diligence requirements and how they apply to taxpayers.
- Identify preparer penalties.
- Summarize how to handle real life situations that emphasize due diligence.
- Outline best practices to ensure compliance with the tax law and due diligence.
This webinar includes the presentation slides, exam questions, and webinar recording with review questions. CPE is issued after exam is successfully completed.
Laura Strombom, EA, MBA, NTPI Fellow