Life Cycle of a Trust
Many of your clients have trusts and, as your clients age, their estate planning documents will become more complicated. Though you may have previously taken courses on the income taxation of trusts and estates, in this course, we’ll focus on a common estate planning tool—a revocable trust with marital deduction planning. The first part of the webinar focuses on the trust during the taxpayer’s lifetime (a living trust). The second part will walk you through the taxation and reporting requirements for a marital deduction trust (an A/B trust).
While Subchapter J governs the taxation for trusts and estates, the application of it differs depending on the type of trust. In this presentation, you’ll learn the primary vehicles for basic estate planning using trusts, how you report income for basic trusts, how maritial deduction planning works at the first death and much more.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the types of trusts.
- Describe and recognize a living trust.
- Describe and recognize an A/B trust.
- Outline the life cycle of a living trust during the lifetime of the grantor.
- Identify the filing elections for a living trust.
- Identify the changes in treatment of a living trust at the death of the grantor.
- Outline the life cycle of an A/B trust.
- Describe the requirements for each part of an A/B trust.
- Correctly describe the filing requirements for an A/B trust.
This webinar includes the presentation slides, exam questions, live webinar recording with review questions, and Q&A transcript. CPE is issued after exam is successfully completed.
Jaye Tritz, EA, CFP®