Introduction to Fixed Assets Self-Study
Fixed assets are assets that are purchased for long-term use and are not likely to be converted quickly into cash, such as land, buildings and equipment. This course will introduce you to the basic depreciation concepts on Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization, including §179 and bonus depreciation. You’ll review the special rules for listed property (passenger automobiles, etc.), and learn how to report the sale of business property on Form 4797, as well as the tax consequences of such sales.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the depreciation methods for fixed assets.
- Apply the listed property rules.
- Outline the requirements for claiming §179 and bonus depreciation.
- Determine if a change in property is an improvement vs. a repair.
- Complete Form 4562 when required.
- Report the disposition of business property in the appropriate section of Form 4797.
- Calculate the gain or loss on a sale.
- Define depreciation recapture, unrecaptured §1250 gain and nonrecaptured §1231 losses.
- Determine when §280F recapture is necessary.
This course includes an e-book and exam questions to help you earn CPE. CPE is issued after the exam is successfully completed.