Introduction to Schedule F
Farming is a unique industry with its own set of special tax issues. Knowing these special rules is essential for tax professionals preparing farm tax returns. This course focuses on individual income tax issues to help tax professionals new to preparing farm tax returns. You will learn how to properly prepare Schedule F, Profit or Loss from Farming, and other major related forms. The course also includes material about the depreciation and accounting methods available to farmers and identifying hobby farms.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Complete Schedule F, Profit or Loss From Farming.
- Identify the unique timing of certain farm income and expenses.
- Identify the sources of income generated from farming operations.
- Differentiate between taxable and tax-exempt government program payments.
- Complete Schedule J, Income Averaging for Farmers and Fishermen.
- Identify the proper reporting of farm-related income on Form 4797, Sales of Business Property.
- Identify the allowable expenses and deductions for farmers.
- Compute the amount of farming loss allowed under the loss limitation rules.
- List the depreciation methods allowed for assets used in farming.
- Differentiate between cash and accrual methods as related to farm income and expense reporting.
- Complete Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax.
- Summarize how to report the income and expenses from a farming activity that is determined to be a hobby.
This course includes an e-book and exam questions to help you earn CPE. CPE is issued after the exam is successfully completed.