Calculate S Shareholder Stock Basis
Basis in flow-through entities is an overwhelming and often misunderstood topic. Tax preparers and taxpayers often ask “Who is supposed to keep track of the shareholder’s basis?”. The technical answer is the shareholder, but the best answer is the tax preparer preparing the shareholder’s individual income tax return. Don’t let S corporation shareholder basis scare you by attending this webinar to get the skills you need to calculate shareholder stock basis.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Calculate a shareholder’s initial stock and debt basis.
- Adjust a shareholder’s stock and debt basis annually.
- Recognize when the shareholder has loaned or contributed money to the S corporation.
- Determine the timing and ordering rules for basis adjustments.
- Explain how distributions from an S corporation are taxed.
- Determine the result of repaying reduced-basis debt.
- Identify the implications of at-risk and passive loss limitations.
Includes webinar recording, PowerPoint presentation and Q&A webinar transcript. CPE is issued after exam is successfully completed.
Steve O'Rourke, EA