529 Plans and the Education Credits Webinar
Qualified tuition plans (QTP) or 529 plans are a great way to save tax-free for college education. But what happens once the kids go off to college and the tuition payments and 529 plan distributions begin? This webinar reviews what tax documents you'll need from your clients (and to whom they will be delivered) before and after 529 plan distributions are made, as well as how these distributions should be reported. We'll also review whether or not your client is eligible for the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and/or the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC), and how these tax credits and deductions may affect a 529 plan distribution.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the requirements for a Section 529 plan.
- Calculate the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC).
- Calculate the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).
- Complete Form 8867 due diligence.
- Identify qualified education expenses for each type of education benefit.
- Reporting Form 1099-Q
Our researchers will answer your questions during the presentation. This webinar includes the presentation slides, Attendee Top Questions and access to the webinar recording.
Cheryl Morse, EA